= lamb shanks OR chops
¼ carb. bonus
¼ weekly indulgence
= red wine (optional)
Note: Kumara is
otherwise known as
a sweet potato
Braised Lamb Shanks in a Rich Herbed Sauce
From the book All Seasons Cookbook page
Slow cooked and delicious this recipe would be wonderful for a
dinner party with friends or a cozy family meal. For a special
meal add the red wine.
For 4 servings
4 teaspoons olive oil
¼ cup flour
550 grams lamb shanks OR lamb chops
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 large red onion, finely diced
1 large leek - washed well and chopped
120 gram kumara, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
¼ cup balsamic vinegar (OR ½ cup red wine = ¼
1 x 400 grams can Mediterranean tomatoes
1½ cups water
1 teaspoon beef stock
1 tablespoon seed mustard
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
salt and ground black pepper
½ cup parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot. Dust shanks in flour and brown in
the hot oil.
- Remove shanks from pan and add carrot, parsnip, onion, leek,
kumara and garlic. Cook on a low heat until soft.
- Add balsamic vinegar, allow to caramelise slightly then add
tomatoes, water, stock, mustard, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, add the shanks then simmer slowly,
covered, for 1½ to 2 hours. You can either cook on top
of the stove or in the oven at 180°C.
- Serve garnished with the chopped parsley.